Old 22-05-2011, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Dwarf Japanese Maple trunt split from heavy snow

In article
,
KOS wrote:

Ive got a Dwarf Japanese maple that has its trunk split from the heavy
snowfall from winter. An arborist says it will be 400 dollars to cable
it and put a few screws in it.. It will cost me 150 to buy a
replacement...
I am not familiar with screws to trees etc... Will this fix the tree?
He says Japanese maple dont have much disease so I shouldnt have any
problems,
Any one experiene this before, any advice would be helpful

First thing Iąd do is purchase a backup.

I would tape the slit together NOW. Two months retape. Repeat.

Wondering what a dwarf Japanese maple is ? Do you mean small weeping
maple?
I've got one 16 inches high by about 20 wide which I consider bonsai
that is 40 years old. The issue now is who in my family will care for it
as sooner or latter we have to give them away.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://patrickmurfin.livejournal.com/