Old 22-05-2011, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
KOS KOS is offline

Default Dwarf Japanese Maple trunt split from heavy snow

Ive got a Dwarf Japanese maple that has its trunk split from the heavy
snowfall from winter. An arborist says it will be 400 dollars to cable
it and put a few screws in it.. It will cost me 150 to buy a
replacement...
I am not familiar with screws to trees etc... Will this fix the tree?
He says Japanese maple dont have much disease so I shouldnt have any
problems,
Any one experiene this before, any advice would be helpful
Old 22-05-2011, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"KOS" wrote in message
Ive got a Dwarf Japanese maple that has its trunk split from the heavy
snowfall from winter. An arborist says it will be 400 dollars to cable
it and put a few screws in it.. It will cost me 150 to buy a
replacement...
I am not familiar with screws to trees etc... Will this fix the tree?
He says Japanese maple dont have much disease so I shouldnt have any
problems,
Any one experiene this before, any advice would be helpful

A lot depends on what you have left to work with. If it can be pulled
together, a simple immediate fix is to drill a hole through the two split
pieces and run allthread with a nut and washer on either side. Leave enough
thread to release the rod a little over the years.

Old 22-05-2011, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
KOS wrote:

Ive got a Dwarf Japanese maple that has its trunk split from the heavy
snowfall from winter. An arborist says it will be 400 dollars to cable
it and put a few screws in it.. It will cost me 150 to buy a
replacement...
I am not familiar with screws to trees etc... Will this fix the tree?
He says Japanese maple dont have much disease so I shouldnt have any
problems,
Any one experiene this before, any advice would be helpful

First thing Iąd do is purchase a backup.

I would tape the slit together NOW. Two months retape. Repeat.

Wondering what a dwarf Japanese maple is ? Do you mean small weeping
maple?
I've got one 16 inches high by about 20 wide which I consider bonsai
that is 40 years old. The issue now is who in my family will care for it
as sooner or latter we have to give them away.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://patrickmurfin.livejournal.com/

Old 23-05-2011, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
KOS wrote:

Ive got a Dwarf Japanese maple that has its trunk split from the heavy
snowfall from winter. An arborist says it will be 400 dollars to cable
it and put a few screws in it.. It will cost me 150 to buy a
replacement...
I am not familiar with screws to trees etc... Will this fix the tree?
He says Japanese maple dont have much disease so I shouldnt have any
problems,
Any one experiene this before, any advice would be helpful

First thing Iąd do is purchase a backup.

I would tape the slit together NOW. Two months retape. Repeat.

Wondering what a dwarf Japanese maple is ?

The leaves look like cannabis, until they change color. The OP may want
to put it where it can't be seen and mistaken by teenagers or law
enforcement.

Do you mean small weeping
maple?
I've got one 16 inches high by about 20 wide which I consider bonsai
that is 40 years old. The issue now is who in my family will care for it
as sooner or latter we have to give them away.

--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/

[IMG] code is On

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 09:37 PM
Have question about dwarf japanese maple about 4 feet... snow duringwinter caused trunk to split.. KOS Gardening 4 26-04-2011 12:17 AM
Split Leaf Japanese Maple - Promoting Growth Rob Heyman Gardening 1 18-05-2004 07:07 AM
Dwarf Red Japanese Maple Ken Gardening 8 03-05-2004 04:04 PM
dwarf japanese maple - snowbank damage allan Gardening 0 14-03-2003 12:08 AM