Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Optis

Default plant disease???

Thanks for the help Leigh...

I think you might be right about having too much light and not enough
nutrients.
Also I agree my tank is too big for DIY CO2...Also there is alot of water
movement on the surface so that would defeat the CO2 anyway.

I'm going to lower my watts per gallon, feed some more fertilizer and see if
that'll make a difference. I have a feeling that you're right about the
deficiency and not a disease. Or else alot of my other plants would be
affected like the amazon swords, crinium, and Tiger lotus...and all of those
seem to be ok. They are also in lower and darker parts of the aquarium.

Within a year my Aro will probably need more room and I'll have to start
taking out plants. He's 13 Inches now...a year from now...probably twice as
long.

Thanks again for your help Leigh. I checked out your website...that is a
really nice tank you have there. Do you find that the Carbo-plus system
works good in your 75 gallon? I intend on picking up an Ehiem filter in the
future hoping to cut down on my surface current. Would the Carbo plus thing
work well for a 90???I dont think it will ...but thought I"d put out the
question anyway.

Optimistik

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Right now I have 3 watts per gallon.

That is a lot of light for a 90 gallon with no CO2. I would either inject

CO2
or reduce the lighting to 2 watts per gallon or less.

For fertilizer I'm using. Peat pellets, Black water extract, Leaf Zone
fertilizer, Flourish Excel Organic Carbon source, and pro gro. Also Iron
Tabs for roots...not many .

I'm not sure what pro gro is, but I suspect you don't have adequate

fertilizer
for the amount of light in your tank. A high-light tank needs a lot of
fertilizer, and it should be a complete one, like Tropica Mastergrow.

I havent started using CO2...I wanted to try and stay away from having to
use CO2 in this tank with my Arowana, because of ph shifts...

Once you hit 3 watts per gallon, you are likely to have larger pH shifts
*without* CO2 than with it. The reason being that the plants will strip

CO2
out of the water, steadily lowering the pH during the day while they are
photosynthesizing. The pH jumps back up at night, when the plants stop
absorbing CO2 and start releasing it.

Your tank is probably too large for DIY CO2, though. Reducing the light a

bit
might be your best option. I wouldn't spend too much money on

plant-growing
equipment like compressed CO2. Arowanas get so large they need all the
swimming room they can get; plants take up too much space in the tank.

Plus,
he'll probably just chew up the plants as he gets bigger, anyway.

My guess would be your problem isn't a disease, but a deficiency. Just in
case, you might want to remove all affected leaves, not letting them touch
healthy ones. But adding the proper fertilizer will probably fix it.

Leigh