Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Lilac blooming in November!

On 11/3/2010 6:26 PM, Nana.Wilson wrote:
I am in the mid-Atlantic region. It is serendipitous! Smells great too.
Nana

My first thought is...... I hope the whole plant isn't pushing out new
growth (leaves) as we see in your picture. If so, I think you can expect
a lot of winter injury.

Pruning.... Yeah, prune right after blooming as Bob said. Always, at
least "prune" off the dead flower heads before they attempt to form
seeds. This will give you lots of flowers every year.
If your Lilac grows with multiple trunks because new ones sprout up from
the ground, then a good thing to do, every year or two, is saw off one
or two of the oldest trunks at ground level. (More than one or two if
the Lilac is huge.) I have sometimes seen Lilacs that grow with a single
trunk only, never sending up new sprouts from the ground. That last
advice wouldn't apply to them.

Steve