Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave Millman

Default cloudy water, brown algae on walls

Sushil Prasad wrote:

Cloudy water is white. After doing few research on the internet i think the
problem is bacteria boom. Two things that i did and i believe had caused
this. 1. I had a new filter installed, 2. I moved some plants therefore
gravel
was stired.
I am taking following precautions.
1. Changed 20% water and removed any decaying food and plants from water.
Will again change water in about 1
day. The last change did reduce cloudiness of the water.
2. Reduded feeding to fish.
3. need to add aquarium salt ( i dont have any). Can i add table salt.

STOP.

Decaying ANYTHING is always bad. Some bottom feeders eat some things, but if you
have "decaying food and plants" then remove them immediately and FEED LESS!
(what your fish can eat in 2-3 minutes, twice a day).

Salt is a mysterious cure-all for many fish ailments. It probably helps some and
probably does nothing for others. But it does NOTHING positive for plants. DO
NOT ADD SALT unless you have an extremely well thought out reason for doing so
TO BENEFIT YOUR FISH!