Old 29-05-2011, 09:40 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
I store mine in the 1cubic mtr bags that the gravel was delivered in, let it mature for a year then mix in some blood, fish and bone then for the runner beans I add some farm yard manure (from a bag brought from the garden center) then just top the trough off with a couple of inches of fresh compost.
Interesting topic, I also use old potting compost mixed with fresh (about 2/3old to 1/3 new) and add fish blood and bone. I use this for potting on large shrubs that I grow and sell in 10 litre + pots ! As you can imagine, large pots take alot of compost ! To combat the weed problem, I then use Axit residual herbicide, which stops any seedling weeds.
After the many casualties from last winter, I probably have 'recycled' about 6 cu m of compost ! When the proposed peat ban comes into force in 2020, we all might have to revert to making our own compost and as yet, I havent been impressed with any of the peatless composts available !
Lannerman