Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Old potting compost

Busy sorting out old pots and trays, I've decided to rework the old
compost with a little fresh and some fertilizer and use it for
potatoes in bags, so far I have around 300 litres, and more to come.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 06:31:51 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Busy sorting out old pots and trays, I've decided to rework the old
compost with a little fresh and some fertilizer and use it for
potatoes in bags, so far I have around 300 litres, and more to come.

What fertiliser do you use, David? I often reuse old compost as I
have no easy way of getting rid of old stuff. Mty very small garden
is rising above the level of those around!
I have to beware of vine weevil grubs but a few kettles of boiling
water deal with those.

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-04-2011, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
Busy sorting out old pots and trays, I've decided to rework the old
compost with a little fresh and some fertilizer and use it for
potatoes in bags, so far I have around 300 litres, and more to come.

What fertiliser do you use, David? *I often reuse old compost as I
have no easy way of getting rid of old stuff. *Mty very small garden
is rising above the level of those around!
I have to beware of vine weevil grubs but a few kettles of boiling
water deal with those.

Pam in Bristol

I will just use potato fertilizer, thats what I use for the dahlias,
so I have plenty.
David
Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Busy sorting out old pots and trays, I've decided to rework the old
compost with a little fresh and some fertilizer and use it for
potatoes in bags, so far I have around 300 litres, and more to come.

What fertiliser do you use, David? I often reuse old compost as I
have no easy way of getting rid of old stuff. Mty very small garden
is rising above the level of those around!
I have to beware of vine weevil grubs but a few kettles of boiling
water deal with those.

Pam in Bristol

I will just use potato fertilizer, thats what I use for the dahlias,

so I have plenty.

What is potato fertiliser?

Alan

David

Old 12-04-2011, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Busy sorting out old pots and trays, I've decided to rework the old
compost with a little fresh and some fertilizer and use it for
potatoes in bags, so far I have around 300 litres, and more to come.

What fertiliser do you use, David? *I often reuse old compost as I
have no easy way of getting rid of old stuff. *Mty very small garden
is rising above the level of those around!
I have to beware of vine weevil grubs but a few kettles of boiling
water deal with those.

Pam in Bristol

I will just use potato fertilizer, thats what I use for the dahlias,
so I have plenty.
David

Potato fertiliser? I've never encountered it. Is it readily
available? What's the NPK?

Pam in Bristol

Old 12-04-2011, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote ..

Dave Hill wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
Busy sorting out old pots and trays, I've decided to rework the old
compost with a little fresh and some fertilizer and use it for
potatoes in bags, so far I have around 300 litres, and more to come.

What fertiliser do you use, David? I often reuse old compost as I
have no easy way of getting rid of old stuff. Mty very small garden
is rising above the level of those around!
I have to beware of vine weevil grubs but a few kettles of boiling
water deal with those.

Pam in Bristol

I will just use potato fertilizer, thats what I use for the dahlias,
so I have plenty.
David

Potato fertiliser? I've never encountered it. Is it readily
available? What's the NPK?

Pam in Bristol

JBA seed potatoes sell this....

"Jamieson Brothers TEV4 ... analysis
5.3:7.5:10.0 + TE
The all purpose fertiliser for plants, roses, fruit flowers, vegetables &
lawns
Contains ten vital nutrients plus trace elements
Perfect fertiliser for use in both loam based & soil-less composts "

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-04-2011, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 12, 5:53*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Pam Moore" *wrote ..

Dave Hill wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
Busy sorting out old pots and trays, I've decided to rework the old
compost with a little fresh and some fertilizer and use it for
potatoes in bags, so far I have around 300 litres, and more to come.

What fertiliser do you use, David? *I often reuse old compost as I
have no easy way of getting rid of old stuff. *Mty very small garden
is rising above the level of those around!
I have to beware of vine weevil grubs but a few kettles of boiling
water deal with those.

Pam in Bristol

I will just use potato fertilizer, thats what I use for the dahlias,
so I have plenty.
David

Potato fertiliser? *I've never encountered it. *Is it readily
available? *What's the NPK?

Potato fretiliser is Fertiliser formulated for potatoes, so lower in
Nitrogen and heigher in Potasium for root (Tuber) growth.
What I use is Nitrogen [N 14], Phosphorus [P 14] & Potassium [K 21]
A good alternative would be Vitax Q4 which has the advantage of trace
elements as well
David Hil
Old 13-04-2011, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
[...]

Ah, thanks Dave and Bob
I already use Vitax Q4 so will stick with that.

Pam in Bristol
Old 16-04-2011, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/04/2011 14:31, Dave Hill wrote:
Busy sorting out old pots and trays, I've decided to rework the old
compost with a little fresh and some fertilizer and use it for
potatoes in bags, so far I have around 300 litres, and more to come.

Do you have to sterilize the old stuff in any way?
Mary

Old 03-05-2011, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
Potato fertiliser? I've never encountered it. Is it readily
available? What's the NPK?

If you are still having trouble finding it, I'll ask Nick (when he
re-appears) where ours comes from, as we seem to have a vast stock of it.
Which probably means we bought it up at the end of the potato season last
yar from somewhere.

(Drop me an email if I forget)

Old 29-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Busy sorting out old pots and trays, I've decided to rework the old
compost with a little fresh and some fertilizer and use it for
potatoes in bags, so far I have around 300 litres, and more to come..
I store mine in the 1cubic mtr bags that the gravel was delivered in, let it mature for a year then mix in some blood, fish and bone then for the runner beans I add some farm yard manure (from a bag brought from the garden center) then just top the trough off with a couple of inches of fresh compost.
Old 29-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
I store mine in the 1cubic mtr bags that the gravel was delivered in, let it mature for a year then mix in some blood, fish and bone then for the runner beans I add some farm yard manure (from a bag brought from the garden center) then just top the trough off with a couple of inches of fresh compost.
Interesting topic, I also use old potting compost mixed with fresh (about 2/3old to 1/3 new) and add fish blood and bone. I use this for potting on large shrubs that I grow and sell in 10 litre + pots ! As you can imagine, large pots take alot of compost ! To combat the weed problem, I then use Axit residual herbicide, which stops any seedling weeds.
After the many casualties from last winter, I probably have 'recycled' about 6 cu m of compost ! When the proposed peat ban comes into force in 2020, we all might have to revert to making our own compost and as yet, I havent been impressed with any of the peatless composts available !
Lannerman