Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM

Default Remedies for low KH

(Flandry) wrote in message . com...
So, i finally forked out a bunch of dough for a test kit. Figure if
i'm going to really try to keep plants and nice fish, i better have a
clue what my water conditions are.

I knew already that the tapwater here is very basic, something
confirmed by the test kit. For anybody on the Cambridge, MA water
system, here's what the water conditions are like lately:

pH 8.8 (off the scale)
KH 3 dKH
GH 7 dKH

So, basically (no pun intended), this water is horrible.

The Tap is fine, actually excellent.
Mine's KH 3 and GH of 5.
All you do is large frequent water changes(50% weekly) and add CO2 to
lower the pH to 6.5 or so. Try and keep it there when the lights are
on.
That's all there is to the CO2 KH GH issue for you.

If you want to compicate it, you can, but I see no reason for that.
Don't worry about tap pH, worry about the tank's KH and pH and use
only CO2 gas to lower pH.

That's it. If you have a KH of 2, it might be due to the plants
removing the HCO3 (KH) and if you add enough CO2, the plants will use
the CO2 instead and leave the KH alone. But even if it did drop one
degree, you'd still have enough CO2 with a pH of 6.5.

Once you get a good understanding and routine going for the CO2 and
can keep good levels during the day period when the lights are on,
then you can move on to nutrients which is really much easier I think
for most folks especially if you do regular routine 50% weekly water
changes and maintenance.

Regards,
Tom Barr