Old 30-05-2011, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default The rain it's still a raining

On Mon, 30 May 2011 16:21:16 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote ..

Checked at 10am and we had had 0.85 inches and it's still raining, no
way I'll be able to get on the ground to get the dahlias planted for a
few days now.
Just when I had thought I would be able to get them planted earlier
than normal the weather wad to take a hand.
I've managed to get 50 of the tree dahlias planted but I still have
about 30 more to get planted then around 5'000 ordinary dahlias and
around 800 seedlings.

You are all really annoying me now, we spent an hour and a half watering
today as usual. When I planted the tomatoes out yesterday the holes kept
falling in because the ground was so dry and powdery (it's clay/silt!!), not
much sign of moisture. It's drizzling now but it won't be enough to do
anything unless it gets heavier and keeps it up all night.

Sorry Bob! The Met Office seems to think that what you're getting
won't last much longer but then that's it till at least Saturday.
Haven't had that much here (east end of Swansea Bay) other than that
blowy drizzle that finds its way through whatever waterproof you're
wearing. Dave Hill's only the other end of the Bay and he's getting
overdosed by the wet stuff. But that seems to be the norm these days -
I guess elevation is the cause.

The good thing about the blowy drizzle stuff is that it brings the
slugs out in the daytime when they're easier to see and my little salt
bucket has filled up nicely with lots of little ones, about an inch
long. Nothing big though, presumably thanks to some rather overweight
hedgehogs. For some reason these little slugs don't appear in heavy
rain.