Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Lee Clemmer

Default Remedies for low KH

Your pet store may have "Rep-Cal", a finely powdered pure calcium carbonate,
used for a dietary supplement for reptiles.

I have begun using this as the amount of sodium from baking soda needed to
raise my kH was causing some problems.

It's pure CaCO3 and has no additives, unlike any of the health food
supplements that I found. I didn't check the hippie store, but I expect that
it would be much more expensive than the animal version from the
big-pet-store-chain.

Lee

"Aqua" wrote in message
I don't like baking soda, either. I know, theoretically, carbonate is
carbonate...but baking soda seems to stress my fish, while calcium

carbonate
does not.

Where did you get CaCO3? Any online suppliers?

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua