Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Storing rainwater for plant watering? any views on this

Billy wrote:
In article ,
gardenlen wrote:

g'day conor,

best practise, we not only have rainwater for plants but for washing
clothes and drinking, have used it in whole of house.

our rain tank is commonly 22.5k/litres in szie and we use drums
aswell, a couple of picures on this page of ours:

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/permaculture_essay.htm

In France they use large concrete cisterns as well to catch rain
water..

Concrete is OK but can have problems with cracking, especially in clay soil.
When you have 20 tons in your tank the ground doesn't have to move much
before the base is not supported evenly and the concrete cracks under the
strain. A polymer tank on the other hand will give a little and survive
without leaking.

David