Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered User

Default Storing rainwater for plant watering? any views on this

This is not an advert, although I do sell this equipment (see advert section), but I am wondering what everyone's experience with using water saving equipment is. Have you methods in place, and do they work? How can improvments be made to existing products out there to help the gardiners!

discuss really! lol

I'm a newbee so go easy on me! lol
Old 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day conor,

best practise, we not only have rainwater for plants but for washing
clothes and drinking, have used it in whole of house.

our rain tank is commonly 22.5k/litres in szie and we use drums
aswell, a couple of picures on this page of ours:

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/permaculture_essay.htm

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 12:11:13 +0000, Conor
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
gardenlen wrote:

g'day conor,

best practise, we not only have rainwater for plants but for washing
clothes and drinking, have used it in whole of house.

our rain tank is commonly 22.5k/litres in szie and we use drums
aswell, a couple of picures on this page of ours:

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/permaculture_essay.htm

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 12:11:13 +0000, Conor
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither
the day nor the hour wherein the Son
of man cometh"

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not
live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that
go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

In France they use large concrete cisterns as well to catch rain water..
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Conor wrote:
This is not an advert, although I do sell this equipment (see advert
section), but I am wondering what everyone's experience with using
water saving equipment is. Have you methods in place, and do they
work? How can improvments be made to existing products out there to
help the gardiners!

discuss really! lol

I'm a newbee so go easy on me! lol

There is a huge range of equipment available to suit everything from the
small suburban house with very limited room to major irrigation. There
seems to be a way of thinking (we see this is design students all the time)
that if only we had more and better equipment all will be wonderful in the
garden. This point of view comes from those who see their role to make
money designing, manufacturing and selling more goods.

What is needed is not more and better gear but more people who are willing
to use what is there and who are willing to learn how to use it effectively.
This is the point of view of those who want to have better gardens and to
use water more efficiently. The two views do have some overlap but in some
cases they are directly at odds.

A better result will often come not from buying more hardware but from using
the warmware between your ears.

David

Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
gardenlen wrote:

g'day conor,

best practise, we not only have rainwater for plants but for washing
clothes and drinking, have used it in whole of house.

our rain tank is commonly 22.5k/litres in szie and we use drums
aswell, a couple of picures on this page of ours:

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/permaculture_essay.htm

....snip....

In France they use large concrete cisterns as well to catch rain
water..

Concrete is OK but can have problems with cracking, especially in clay soil.
When you have 20 tons in your tank the ground doesn't have to move much
before the base is not supported evenly and the concrete cracks under the
strain. A polymer tank on the other hand will give a little and survive
without leaking.

David

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Conor" wrote in message

This is not an advert, although I do sell this equipment (see advert
section), but I am wondering what everyone's experience with using water
saving equipment is.

About 50 years worth but the first 20 years were more as a user of such
water, but having parents yarping on about it for those 20 years is a good
learning curve.

Have you methods in place, and do they work? How
can improvments be made to existing products out there to help the
gardiners!

Why don't you do a google and check out rainwater harvesting and useage in
countries of the world where the use of rainwater for household use is
common? Try Australia or NZ.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day billy,

that is great to hear, over here and yes all types of construction in
tanlks will have some negative, but i stear clear of cement tanks as
they use all the fly ash from the power stations to make cement dust,
and tha ash can have some not nice residuals. we like to drink the
water.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 11:56:27 -0700, Billy
wrote:
snipped

Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
gardenlen wrote:

g'day billy,

that is great to hear, over here and yes all types of construction in
tanlks will have some negative, but i stear clear of cement tanks as
they use all the fly ash from the power stations to make cement dust,
and tha ash can have some not nice residuals. we like to drink the
water.

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 11:56:27 -0700, Billy
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither
the day nor the hour wherein the Son
of man cometh"

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not
live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that
go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

An' g'day to you Len.

The concrete wasn't just used for cisterns in France. It used to be
commonly used for fermenting wine. It would be covered over with a
proprietary material called Flint Coat, which is like a spread-on
linoleum. Pre-1970, many of the larger jug wine producers in California
did the same thing.

No food grade cement in Australia? France wouldn't have that problem,
because of their dearth of coal. Hopefully, the tailings from their
spent reactor rods won't be incorporated in their cement ;O)

Food security, and water security needs to start at home.

We never know the worth of water till the well is dry.
~Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Here, in the U.S., the federal government says that thirty-six states
face water shortages in the next five years.