Old 14-06-2011, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden journal software recommendation?

On 6/13/11 9:12 AM, Chris Nelson wrote:
On Jun 12, 3:42 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 6/12/11 10:54 AM, Chris Nelson wrote:

I'm looking a program or site that will help me keep a garden
journal. ...

Do you want something public or just for your own use?

Just my own use but I don't care if it's public. If there's something
web-based that works, I'm not embarrassed that I planted glads.

For public use, see how I do my garden diary. The link is in my
signature below. Because I don't want to have horizontal scrolling, the
width is constrained. This leaves the length unconstrained. After
about two months, the page is too long; so I've broken the diary apart
into two-month segments. I keep a mirror of my Web site on my PC's hard
drive, with similar pages grouped in subdirectories. To find something,
I just do a search on the subdirectory for the diary.

For strictly private use, I use Word. You probably have a similar
word-processing application on your Linux system. I creat a document
that consists of a single table with two columns. The left column is
narrow and only contains the date. The right column contains a
description. I begin a new table row for each date. I've done this for
various construction projects on my house.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see