Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden journal software recommendation?

I'm looking a program or site that will help me keep a garden
journal. A wiki or blog tool almost works but
I want to be able to enter "The roses bloomed today" or "Planted
gladiolus" and later be able to ask the system "When do my roses
usually come up?" or "When did I last mulch" or "Do the lilies or the
peonies bloom first?" Lotus Agenda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Lotus_Agenda) sort of worked that way. It was a free-text personal
data mining tool that let you take random notes that it organized and/
or searched for you. Short of something generic and really smart, it
seems I need something with assumptions about gardening built in. I
looked in this group and it seems it hasn't been discussed in 10
years. I found a bunch of things on the web but I don't want to waste
time trying losers. Recommendations would be welcome.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Chris Nelson wrote:

I'm looking a program or site that will help me keep a garden
journal. A wiki or blog tool almost works but
I want to be able to enter "The roses bloomed today" or "Planted
gladiolus" and later be able to ask the system "When do my roses
usually come up?" or "When did I last mulch" or "Do the lilies or the
peonies bloom first?" Lotus Agenda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Lotus_Agenda) sort of worked that way. It was a free-text personal
data mining tool that let you take random notes that it organized and/
or searched for you. Short of something generic and really smart, it
seems I need something with assumptions about gardening built in. I
looked in this group and it seems it hasn't been discussed in 10
years. I found a bunch of things on the web but I don't want to waste
time trying losers. Recommendations would be welcome.

What operating system do you use ? Here is some Mac stuff.

http://tinyurl.com/3ostp4d

I use moodex very simple and small.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://patrickmurfin.livejournal.com/

Old 14-06-2011, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/13/11 9:12 AM, Chris Nelson wrote:
On Jun 12, 3:42 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 6/12/11 10:54 AM, Chris Nelson wrote:

I'm looking a program or site that will help me keep a garden
journal. ...

Do you want something public or just for your own use?

Just my own use but I don't care if it's public. If there's something
web-based that works, I'm not embarrassed that I planted glads.

For public use, see how I do my garden diary. The link is in my
signature below. Because I don't want to have horizontal scrolling, the
width is constrained. This leaves the length unconstrained. After
about two months, the page is too long; so I've broken the diary apart
into two-month segments. I keep a mirror of my Web site on my PC's hard
drive, with similar pages grouped in subdirectories. To find something,
I just do a search on the subdirectory for the diary.

For strictly private use, I use Word. You probably have a similar
word-processing application on your Linux system. I creat a document
that consists of a single table with two columns. The left column is
narrow and only contains the date. The right column contains a
description. I begin a new table row for each date. I've done this for
various construction projects on my house.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 14-06-2011, 07:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 12, 1:54*pm, Chris Nelson wrote:
I'm looking a program or site that will help me keep a garden
journal. *A wiki or blog tool almost works but
I want to be able to enter "The roses bloomed today" or "Planted
gladiolus" and later be able to ask the system "When do my roses
usually come up?" or "When did I last mulch" or "Do the lilies or the
peonies bloom first?" *Lotus Agenda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Lotus_Agenda) sort of worked that way. *It was a free-text personal
data mining tool that let you take random notes that it organized and/
or searched for you. *Short of something generic and really smart, it
seems I need something with assumptions about gardening built in. *I
looked in this group and it seems it hasn't been discussed in 10
years. *I found a bunch of things on the web but I don't want to waste
time trying losers. *Recommendations would be welcome.

Ummm.....ever think of a spiral-bound notebook?

Chris
Old 14-06-2011, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I too use word set up as you do. In fact I have several "diaries" set up in
word for various data. I have one for Lawn/Garden, another for Personal
Finances, and yet another for a Daily Diary. I also have one set up for my
small business.

Old 16-06-2011, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 14, 2:55*am, Chris wrote:
On Jun 12, 1:54*pm, Chris Nelson wrote:
Ummm.....ever think of a spiral-bound notebook?

They are rather hard to search.