Old 22-06-2011, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Morning Glory

On Jun 21, 6:37*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 6/21/11 7:40 AM, mj wrote:

On Jun 21, 10:28 am, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,

*mj wrote:
Why do I have so much plant and not so many flowers?

MJ

Could it be lack of phosphorus ?

http://www.ehow.com/list_7418952_pho...ing-trees.html

--
Bill *S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://honest-food.net/

I don't think so. I used *a 10 10 10 fertilizer mix

You gave it 10% nitrogen, 10% phosphorus, and 10% potassium. *I don't
really know your soil, so I will have to guess.

Nitrogen often promotes leaves and stems at the expense of flowers. *It
should be used only once, at the beginning of the growing season. *If
there is still some growing season remaining, a light dose might be
applied again after all flowering is done.

My soil usually has sufficient potassium without adding any fertilizer.

Phosphorus promotes flowers, but it does not disolve. *It must be placed
in the planting hole before the plant goes into the ground. *That way,
the roots will find the phosphorus. *Putting 10-10-10 fertilizer on the
surface of the soil merely wastes the phosphorus.

My suggestion is to buy a bag of bone meal or superphospate and a 3-foot
length of 1/2-inch steel rebar. *Poke the rebar into the ground as deep
as it will go about a foot away from the plant and wiggle the rebar to
increase the size of the hole. *Fill the hole with bone meal or
superphospate. *Repeat, making a circle of 3-4 holes around each plant.
*For older and larger plants, you might need a circle of 4-6 holes about
2 feet from each plant.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see