Old 21-06-2011, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Morning LGory

Why do I have so much plant and not so many flowers?

MJ
Old 21-06-2011, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
mj wrote:

Why do I have so much plant and not so many flowers?

MJ

Could it be lack of phosphorus ?

http://www.ehow.com/list_7418952_pho...ing-trees.html

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://honest-food.net/

Old 21-06-2011, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Jun 21, 10:28*am, Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,

*mj wrote:
Why do I have so much plant and not so many flowers?

MJ

Could it be lack of phosphorus ?

http://www.ehow.com/list_7418952_pho...ing-trees.html

--
Bill *S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://honest-food.net/

I don't think so. I used a 10 10 10 fertilizer mix
Old 21-06-2011, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

*mj wrote:
Why do I have so much plant and not so many flowers?

MJ

Could it be lack of phosphorus ?

http://www.ehow.com/list_7418952_pho...ing-trees.html

--
Bill *S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://honest-food.net/

I don't think so. I used a 10 10 10 fertilizer mix

If just planted in the ground it needs to become established before it
will flower normally, could be another year or two... and if potted it
will never flower well.
Old 21-06-2011, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:
Why do I have so much plant and not so many flowers?

MJ

Could it be lack of phosphorus ?

http://www.ehow.com/list_7418952_pho...ing-trees.html

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://honest-food.net/

I don't think so. I used a 10 10 10 fertilizer mix
=======================

When you fertilize MG you will usually get growth at the expense of flowers.

Old 21-06-2011, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Morning Glory

mj wrote:
Why do I have so much plant and not so many flowers?

MJ

Could it be lack of phosphorus ?

http://www.ehow.com/list_7418952_pho...ing-trees.html

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

http://honest-food.net/

I don't think so. I used a 10 10 10 fertilizer mix

You gave it 10% nitrogen, 10% phosphorus, and 10% potassium. I don't
really know your soil, so I will have to guess.

Nitrogen often promotes leaves and stems at the expense of flowers. It
should be used only once, at the beginning of the growing season. If
there is still some growing season remaining, a light dose might be
applied again after all flowering is done.

My soil usually has sufficient potassium without adding any fertilizer.

Phosphorus promotes flowers, but it does not disolve. It must be placed
in the planting hole before the plant goes into the ground. That way,
the roots will find the phosphorus. Putting 10-10-10 fertilizer on the
surface of the soil merely wastes the phosphorus.

My suggestion is to buy a bag of bone meal or superphospate and a 3-foot
length of 1/2-inch steel rebar. Poke the rebar into the ground as deep
as it will go about a foot away from the plant and wiggle the rebar to
increase the size of the hole. Fill the hole with bone meal or
superphospate. Repeat, making a circle of 3-4 holes around each plant.
For older and larger plants, you might need a circle of 4-6 holes about
2 feet from each plant.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 22-06-2011, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

*mj wrote:
[...]

Wow, thank you that was very helpful
Old 22-06-2011, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

mj wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote:
mj wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
mj wrote:
Why do I have so much plant and not so many flowers?

Could it be lack of phosphorus ?

I don't think so.

[...]

Morning glory grows best in full sun on a rusty old fence in lousy
soil in vacant lots where no one gives them a fig of care... my
suggestion is to leave it TF alone before yoose kill it with a barrel
of toxic chemicals and a mountain of stupidity. And if yoose gotta
water it best is first thing in the morning to let loose when your
bladder is about to burst... why do you think it's called morning
glory...