Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
dpots

Default Brown Algae Control

Thanks for the sugestions. I found some ottos at a LFS. I bought 8
of them. I will let you know how they do. I hope they eat this algae
fast.

tose (LeighMo) wrote in message ...
LeighMo suggested to me to try Otocinclus - I got 8 of them for my 66g tank
(thinking that one or two may die - but they didn't) - they turned it all
around in about 4-6 days. Now bogwood clean - glass clean - plants clean -
they even stop the debris collecting in my Eleocharis hairgrass. They are
about 1-1.5 inches long (full grown) and they dont look too bad either.

I like them lots...I would marry them if I could - lol.

LOL! Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Brown algae is normal in a new tank, and it may go away on its own. But otos
are good to have, anyway. They are the best for brown algae, and also eat
other types. And they're small, so they fit in just about any tank.

I would get one for each ten gallons of tank volume, with a minimum of three
(they like each other's company). If they do too good a job and there's no
algae left, you can feed them fresh or frozen veggies. Mine particularly like
cucumber.
(You can tell if an oto isn't getting enough algae to eat; they start looking
skinny.)

Leigh