Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
John Worfin

Default Green stringy algae and what to do about it

Hi, I have something of a problem with green stringy algae. It tends to
grow in clumps, attaches to plants (mostly the stems), crawls through the
gravel, and seems to exist to annoy me. This algae reminds me of (and I
have to allow that it might even be) Java Moss. It can be removed
mechanically, but its pervasiveness makes that difficult.

My tank is otherwise very healthy. I have strong light (4 48" flourescents
on a 55 gallon tank) and I inject CO2. I do water changes weekly (25-30%).
PH = 6.8 - 7.0, Temp = 79 - 82.

I have an assortment of algae eaters (4 stingray plecos, a mess of Ottos
(10+), 2 false Siamensis, and about 7 True SAEs (small). They either cannot
keep up or have no interest. I have three Clown Loaches (~3") so I don't
think I can go with Algae eating Shrimp.

Any suggestions about what to do would be appreciated.