Old 27-06-2011, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Identify small tree

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:30:42 -0600, Amos Nomore
wrote:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 6/27/11 8:20 AM, Paul wrote:
Anyone have any idea what it is?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...k/Capture1.jpg

Silk tree (Albizia julibrissin): This can eventually be a tree 40 feet
high with a branch spread of 80 feet. This is a tropical or (at best) a
subtropical, damaged by frosts.

There is a variety of Albizia julibrissin which is quite cold hardy. I
live in zone 7 and they grow all over town.

The one I had survived Long Island, NY winters quite well. They don't
make good shade trees, at least not to sit under, the aroma from those
pom pom like flowers are excellent stinging insect bait. Some folks
like mimosa trees but I consider it a noxious weed.