Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Hibiscus

Derald wrote:
Nad R wrote:

What also grows well in Michigan is a plant called "Rose of Sharon" these
are large shrubs, about six to eight feet in height. Many will call the
"Rose of Sharon" a Hibiscus plant also. These plants need little care and
does NOT get cut down to the ground. "Rose of Sharon" just needs trimming
once in a while.

Your "hardy hibiscus" may be a "rose mallow" (Hibiscus moscheutos). Maybe
it's pictured he http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/982/.
Many call "Rose of Sharon" a hibiscus because it is, Hibiscus syriacus. Here's a
good representative photo of blossom and leaves. Rose of Sharon is widely
distributed in the US Southeast where it is often colloquially (and confusingly)
called "Althea" by old-timers.

I believe mine was called "Kopper King" with a large white flower with a
red center. Not positive I tend to toss those labels and my memory fades as
I get older. The "Rose Mallow" has a reddish flower.

The "Rose of Sharon" large shrub does have flowers that look just like the
hardy hibiscus with much smaller flowers. Big shrub small flowers. Small
plant big flowers. I guess it is the flower that gives both the title of
hibiscus even tho the main stems look radically different.