Old 30-06-2011, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hibiscus

I plan on planting several large Hibiscus plants this fall.

My friend tells me I cannot use regular soil for growing them because they
need a special soil mixture.

I've never heard of such a thing.

Does anyone on this newsgroup grow Hibiscus, and if so, do you use regular
garden soil or a special mixture?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered User

Location: SE England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Cardinal View Post
I plan on planting several large Hibiscus plants this fall.

My friend tells me I cannot use regular soil for growing them because they
need a special soil mixture.

I've never heard of such a thing.

Does anyone on this newsgroup grow Hibiscus, and if so, do you use regular
garden soil or a special mixture?

Thanks
I bought a hibiscus about a month ago. There was nothing on the care label saying it needs special compost/soil. I re-potted it in moisture retaining compost mixed with indoor compost since it will spend autumn to spring indoors. It's happily out on the terrace about to flower
Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Kentucky Cardinal" Kentucky wrote in message
I plan on planting several large Hibiscus plants this fall.

My friend tells me I cannot use regular soil for growing them because they
need a special soil mixture.

I've never heard of such a thing.

Does anyone on this newsgroup grow Hibiscus, and if so, do you use regular
garden soil or a special mixture?

Cold climate, deciduous hibiscus or the one that likes warm climates? I
cant' tell you anything aobut warm climate ones, but the cold climate
deciduous ones grow quite happily in unamended, normal garden soil.

I have two "Hardy Hibiscus" that grows very well in Michigan. They produce
large white plate size flowers in the late summer. In November I cut them
down to the ground. Early spring I see them starting to come out of the
ground. They grow about four feet high shrub like plants with cool looking
flowers.

Hardy Hibiscus is a little different from other forms of Hibiscus plants.
If it does not have the word Hardy it will probably not survive a cold
snowy winter.The non hardy hibiscus in warm climates may not need cutting
down.

What also grows well in Michigan is a plant called "Rose of Sharon" these
are large shrubs, about six to eight feet in height. Many will call the
"Rose of Sharon" a Hibiscus plant also. These plants need little care and
does NOT get cut down to the ground. "Rose of Sharon" just needs trimming
once in a while.

Best to use your own soil. If the plant does not survive, find another
plant. Reason is how large of an area do want to dig out. If the roots
eventually hit your natural soil the plant may not perform well. That's the
risk of planting many plants that will look great for few years then they
shrivel up and die.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/1/2011 10:20 AM, Nad R wrote:
"FarmI"ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Kentucky Cardinal"Kentucky wrote in message
I plan on planting several large Hibiscus plants this fall.

eciduous ones grow quite happily in unamended, normal garden soil.

I have two "Hardy Hibiscus" that grows very well in Michigan. They produce
large white plate size flowers in the late summer. In November I cut them
down to the ground. Early spring I see them starting to come out of the
ground. They grow about four feet high shrub like plants with cool looking
flowers.

I haven't seen that, but I want it. I had a swamp hibiscus (Scarlet Rose
Mallow) that went through a few winters in Atlanta and I think lack of
light finished it off.

Hardy Hibiscus is a little different from other forms of Hibiscus plants.
If it does not have the word Hardy it will probably not survive a cold
snowy winter.The non hardy hibiscus in warm climates may not need cutting
down.

What also grows well in Michigan is a plant called "Rose of Sharon" these
are large shrubs, about six to eight feet in height. Many will call the
"Rose of Sharon" a Hibiscus plant also.

Knock me over! But, of course!

These plants need little care and
does NOT get cut down to the ground. "Rose of Sharon" just needs trimming
once in a while.

Grows like crazy here, it seems like any kind of bad soil and any kind
of light. I just pull it out of the places I don't want it.

I usually whack it into shape, I've got hedges of it, but I have one
that I've just let grow. It's about 9' tall and the branches just sprawl
out. Has about a half dozen blooms and looks like it should be on a
Japanese etching.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Derald wrote:
Nad R wrote:

What also grows well in Michigan is a plant called "Rose of Sharon" these
are large shrubs, about six to eight feet in height. Many will call the
"Rose of Sharon" a Hibiscus plant also. These plants need little care and
does NOT get cut down to the ground. "Rose of Sharon" just needs trimming
once in a while.

Your "hardy hibiscus" may be a "rose mallow" (Hibiscus moscheutos). Maybe
it's pictured he http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/982/.
Many call "Rose of Sharon" a hibiscus because it is, Hibiscus syriacus. Here's a
good representative photo of blossom and leaves. Rose of Sharon is widely
distributed in the US Southeast where it is often colloquially (and confusingly)
called "Althea" by old-timers.

I believe mine was called "Kopper King" with a large white flower with a
red center. Not positive I tend to toss those labels and my memory fades as
I get older. The "Rose Mallow" has a reddish flower.

The "Rose of Sharon" large shrub does have flowers that look just like the
hardy hibiscus with much smaller flowers. Big shrub small flowers. Small
plant big flowers. I guess it is the flower that gives both the title of
hibiscus even tho the main stems look radically different.

[IMG] code is On

Yellow hibiscus 23 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:05 AM
Hibiscus-2656 Maroochy Garden Photos 4 01-04-2009 01:11 AM
hibiscus bushes alicia Gardening 1 01-09-2003 04:12 PM
Hibiscus seeds TakeThisOut Gardening 2 20-03-2003 03:44 PM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM