Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
John Worfin

Default Green stringy algae and what to do about it

Thanks for the advice.

I did some testing for the first time in a long time last night. As you
(plural) suspected, My Nitrates and Phosphates were high - Nitrates = 22 ppm
and PO4 1+ ppm. I do weekly water changes of 25-30%. I just started mixing
tap water with R/O.

I have 4x40 watt flourescents on my 55 gal tank and I inject CO2 (if that
matters).

I have a few questions about reducing these values:

1) Do you recommend using chemical removers?

2) With the exception of this string algae (which is mechanically under
control) my tank is doing the best it has ever been. Will I put this in
jeopardy by reducing these values?

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I have three Clown Loaches (~3") so I don't
think I can go with Algae eating Shrimp.

My clown loaches are 5" and bigger now, and they don't bother my

algae-eating
shrimp.

But Dave's right, you can't expect algae eaters to work miracles. You

have to
get your tank in balance.

Leigh