Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Hibiscus

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Kentucky Cardinal" Kentucky wrote in message
I plan on planting several large Hibiscus plants this fall.

My friend tells me I cannot use regular soil for growing them because
they
need a special soil mixture.

I've never heard of such a thing.

Does anyone on this newsgroup grow Hibiscus, and if so, do you use
regular
garden soil or a special mixture?

Cold climate, deciduous hibiscus or the one that likes warm climates? I
cant' tell you anything aobut warm climate ones, but the cold climate
deciduous ones grow quite happily in unamended, normal garden soil.

(snip)
What also grows well in Michigan is a plant called "Rose of Sharon" these
are large shrubs, about six to eight feet in height. Many will call the
"Rose of Sharon" a Hibiscus plant also.

It is indeed a hibiscus. That is the cold climate one and why I was asking
the OP what sort of hibiscus they were talking about.

But the "Hardy Hibiscus" is a cold climate plant also. Not "the" only cold
climate hibiscus plant and different from the larger shrub "Rose of Sharon"
and both are deciduous and each of the plants care is different.