Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
rnj

Default Green stringy algae and what to do about it

I strongly recommend a phosphate remover, I use the solid type that can be
added to a media basket or bag. There are types that are like filter pads
that might be easier to use for you. BTW your algae sounds like it is the
dreaded hair algae, which is one that fish have a harder time of eating.
Lower your phosphates and make sure that you aren't adding any chemicals
that contain phosphate, and you'll see the algae growth stop.

"John Worfin" wrote in message
. net...
Thanks for the advice.

I did some testing for the first time in a long time last night. As you
(plural) suspected, My Nitrates and Phosphates were high - Nitrates = 22

ppm
and PO4 1+ ppm. I do weekly water changes of 25-30%. I just started

mixing
tap water with R/O.

I have 4x40 watt flourescents on my 55 gal tank and I inject CO2 (if that
matters).

I have a few questions about reducing these values:

1) Do you recommend using chemical removers?

2) With the exception of this string algae (which is mechanically under
control) my tank is doing the best it has ever been. Will I put this in
jeopardy by reducing these values?

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I have three Clown Loaches (~3") so I don't
think I can go with Algae eating Shrimp.

My clown loaches are 5" and bigger now, and they don't bother my

algae-eating
shrimp.

But Dave's right, you can't expect algae eaters to work miracles. You

have to
get your tank in balance.

Leigh