Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default It's more of that Identify this strange plant in my garden time!

In message , FarmI
writes
In message , FarmI
writes

This looks to be Leonurus cardiaca (motherwort).

so do you know what use motherwort has please Stewart? I assume it has a
herbal use???? A name like that brings brewing to mind -
vinegar/beer???????

While I wouldn't assume that the indications given in herbals are
reliable, for what the indications are claimed to be Google is your
friend.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=motherwort

Nothing to do with brewing.

Apparently not.

Notwithstanding the presence of 'mother' and 'wort' which are both
indicative of ferment.

The occurrence of wort in plant names, and the use in brewing, have a
common root, which coincidentally meant root. The suffix -wort turns up
in the names of many plants, as in spleenwort, lungwort, ribwort,
sneezewort, sandwort, crosswort, St. John's wort, nipplewort,
pepperwort, gypsywort, monkswort, water dropwort, spearwort, pearlwort,
figwort, soapwort, ragwort, moneywort, bridewort, wouldwort, stitchwort,
navelwort and water startwort. It commonly said that it denotes a plant
used medicinally, but I am not sure that that is universally true. Water
dropwort is highly poisonous.

The name motherwort suggests a use in "feminine complaints". It is
apparently an abortifacient. (Is "stimulation of delayed or suppressed
menstruation" a euphemism?)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley