Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default It's more of that Identify this strange plant in my garden time!

It's only the second year in this house and garden. I've 2 strange plants
that I think are weeds but I'm just a beginner.

1st plant is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchma...in/photostream and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchma...in/photostream

2nd plant is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchma...in/photostream and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchma...in/photostream

for what it's worth we are in zone 5 b Ontario Canada HOWEVER the previous
were British and imported a number of flowers from their homeland to this
lot.

My wife and I are under the assumption they are weeds however.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"The Henchman" wrote in message
It's only the second year in this house and garden. I've 2 strange plants
that I think are weeds but I'm just a beginner.

1st plant is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchma...in/photostream

I'd have said that was Herb Robert, but i've only ever seen it with a pinky
flower. The foliage looks the same so its in the species
geranium/cranesbill family.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , The Henchman
writes
It's only the second year in this house and garden. I've 2 strange
plants that I think are weeds but I'm just a beginner.

1st plant is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchma...in/photostream and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchma...in/photostream

This is the white form of Geranium robertianum (herb robert). Herb
robert is a common weed in Britain, but is also native to much of North
America. The white form occurs wild, but is also occasionally
cultivated.

2nd plant is
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchma...in/photostream and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/henchma...in/photostream

This looks to be Leonurus cardiaca (motherwort). It is a British native
(though I haven't seen it in the wild). It is also native to most of
North America.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-07-2011, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

This looks to be Leonurus cardiaca (motherwort).

so do you know what use motherwort has please Stewart? I assume it has a
herbal use???? A name like that brings brewing to mind -
vinegar/beer???????

Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

This looks to be Leonurus cardiaca (motherwort).

so do you know what use motherwort has please Stewart? I assume it has a
herbal use???? A name like that brings brewing to mind -
vinegar/beer???????

A nation of brewers.

http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h265.htm

Remedies For:*
Nervine, emmenagogue, anti-spasmodic, hepatic, cardiac tonic,
hypotensive.

Motherwort is used for menstrual and uterine conditions as well as in
heart and circulation treatments. It is valuable in the stimulation of
delayed or suppressed menstruation, especially where there is anxiety or
tension involved. It is a good relaxing tonic for aiding in menopausal
changes. Eases false labor pains.*

An excellent tonic for the heart, strengthening without straining. It is
considered to be a specific in cases of tachycardia (heart
palpitations), especially when brought about by anxiety and other such
causes. It may be used in all heart conditions that are associated with
anxiety and tension. Chinese research referred to in Potters Cyclopedia
found that it both reduced blood platelet aggregation and decreased
levels of blood lipids.

Combinations : May be freely combined in any prescription, especially
with Hawthorn.

Dosage:*

Infusion: pour a cup of boiling water onto 1-2 teaspoonfuls of the dried
herb and leave to infuse for 10-15 minutes. This should be drunk three
times a day.

Tinctu take 1-4ml of the tincture three times a day.

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Leonurus%20cardiaca
Motherwort is especially valuable in the treatment of female weaknesses
and disorders, allaying nervous irritability, inducing quiet and
passivity of the whole nervous system[4]. It is also seen as a remedy
for heart palpitations, it has a strengthening effect, especially on a
weak heart[254]. The antispasmodic and sedative effects promote
relaxation rather than drowsiness[254]. The leaves are antispasmodic,
astringent, cardiac, diaphoretic, emmenagogue, nervine, sedative,
stomachic, tonic and uterine stimulant[4, 9, 21, 46, 165, 222]. They are
taken internally in the treatment of heart complaints (notably
palpitations) and problems associated with menstruation, childbirth and
menopause, especially of nervous origin[238]. Although an infusion can
be used, the taste is so bitter that the plant is usually made into a
conserve or syrup[244]. An alcoholic extract is said to possess superior
action to valerian (Valeriana officinalis)[240]. The plant has been
found effective in the treatment of functional heart complaints due to
autonomic imbalance, and also as an anti-thyroid treatment, though it
needs to be taken for several months for these effects to be
noticed[244]. The whole herb is harvested in August when in flower and
can be dried for later use[4]. It should not be prescribed in the
earlier stages of pregnancy or where periods are heavy[238, 254]. A
homeopathic remedy is made from the plant[9]. It is used in the
treatment of heart complaints, amenorrhoea, menopausal problems and
flatulence[9].

Other Uses
Dye.

A dark olive-green dye is obtained from the leaves[46, 61, 145].
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../michael-moore
/michael-moore-says-400-americans-have-more-wealth-/

Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , FarmI
writes

This looks to be Leonurus cardiaca (motherwort).

so do you know what use motherwort has please Stewart? I assume it has a
herbal use???? A name like that brings brewing to mind -
vinegar/beer???????

While I wouldn't assume that the indications given in herbals are
reliable, for what the indications are claimed to be Google is your
friend.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=motherwort

Nothing to do with brewing.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-07-2011, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , FarmI
writes

This looks to be Leonurus cardiaca (motherwort).

so do you know what use motherwort has please Stewart? I assume it has a
herbal use???? A name like that brings brewing to mind -
vinegar/beer???????

While I wouldn't assume that the indications given in herbals are
reliable, for what the indications are claimed to be Google is your
friend.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=motherwort

Nothing to do with brewing.

Apparently not.

Notwithstanding the presence of 'mother' and 'wort' which are both
indicative of ferment.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , FarmI
writes
In message , FarmI
writes

This looks to be Leonurus cardiaca (motherwort).

so do you know what use motherwort has please Stewart? I assume it has a
herbal use???? A name like that brings brewing to mind -
vinegar/beer???????

While I wouldn't assume that the indications given in herbals are
reliable, for what the indications are claimed to be Google is your
friend.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=motherwort

Nothing to do with brewing.

Apparently not.

Notwithstanding the presence of 'mother' and 'wort' which are both
indicative of ferment.

The occurrence of wort in plant names, and the use in brewing, have a
common root, which coincidentally meant root. The suffix -wort turns up
in the names of many plants, as in spleenwort, lungwort, ribwort,
sneezewort, sandwort, crosswort, St. John's wort, nipplewort,
pepperwort, gypsywort, monkswort, water dropwort, spearwort, pearlwort,
figwort, soapwort, ragwort, moneywort, bridewort, wouldwort, stitchwort,
navelwort and water startwort. It commonly said that it denotes a plant
used medicinally, but I am not sure that that is universally true. Water
dropwort is highly poisonous.

The name motherwort suggests a use in "feminine complaints". It is
apparently an abortifacient. (Is "stimulation of delayed or suppressed
menstruation" a euphemism?)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley