Old 09-07-2011, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Wilting Zukes

Billy wrote:
In article , "Snag"
wrote:

Went outta town for a few days , while we were gone the gkids and
their mom watered for me . A couple of my zucchini plants have an
unexplained wilting of leaves - and one has died , but it was weak
to begin with . I'm pretty sure they didn't water enough to let it
soak deep like I do , but most of the rest of my plants - and all
the cantalopes - are still doing well .
One thing , the plant that is wilting he most has a zuke about 6"
long growing . Can that increase the water required that much ? I
watered everything well yesterday , let the hose run slow and moved
it around until everything is deeply soaked . This morning the
leaves are still wilted ...

Not a good sign. Do you check the soil for dampness before you water?

Yes , I let it dry down an inch or two before watering .

How often and long do you water?

I water when the soil is dry an inch or two deep . And I water until it's
soaked a few inches deep . I want to make sure I encourage the roots to go
deep .

Any chance the zuch drowned?

Nope , see above . We've been having extremely hot/sunny weather here .

Do you have insects that look like this
http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/cucs/squabug.htm ?

Nope , the birds do a damn good job of keeping the bugs out .
--
- Billy

I suspect they just didn't water enough/deep enough , because the plants
seem to be recovering . All except the one that died ... as I said , we've
had a lot of really hot sunny weather here in Memphis Tn .
--
Snag
Learning keeps