Old 19-07-2011, 06:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

Default my stevia plants taste like crap!

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
.com...
When I took a couple of leaves and chewed them, however, I was left
spitting out a very vile tasting green substance for a couple of minutes.
Only later did I truly seem to taste the sweet taste I was used to, as a
lingering aftertaste.
Does this horrid taste go away if you dry the leaves?

I noticed that my youngest stevia leaves were uniformly sweet, but they get
very bitter as they grow. If you eat too much, you taste bitter instead of
sweet. I did exactly what you did once and popped a whole mature leaf into
my mouth. Yikes. But nibbling it in tiny doses brought out the sweet. A
little stevia goes a LOONNNNNNG way.
--S.