Old 19-07-2011, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default my stevia plants taste like crap!

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...

There are different varieties of Stevia.

Does this horrid taste go away if you dry the leaves?

Probably not. My read of the nature of 'glycoside' and looking at
reports around the web, including competitors' claims and counter-claims
suggest that the bitterness is persistent.

One (Chinese) wholesaler says they remove the stem and as much vein from
the leaves as possible and that makes their product better and less
bitter.

Richters has developed 'Crazy Sweet' which isn't bitter and lives up to
its name. On the downside we've found it a very easy plant kill and have
yet to bring a plant to maturity.

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...?product=X6031
&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Plants&cart_id =9157068.29803

http://www.richters.com/Web_store/we...?product=X6030
&show=&prodclass=Herb_and_Vegetable_Plants&cart_id =9157068.29803

I was able to "over-winter" a Stevia plant under lights for its first
years, but I lost it the second winter. I'm dealing with a marginal sun
light situation (about 6 hr./day), but have had no problems growing
Stevia from seed.
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.