Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Philip Ash

Default Problem with CO2 unit

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
.. .
I just installed one Hagen Plant-Gro system and I couldn't get bubbles

when
hanging the canister at tank level. I was susccesful but putting it on the
floor. I'm just wondering if the length of the tubing and level of

canister
makes a difference.

Thanks,

Frank.

Frank,

Length of tubing does affect the units ability to push the gas out. A
pressure needs to build up in the canister before the bubbles have enough
force to 'pop' out of the end of the tube.
I have two of these units and I find that if I use all of the stabilzer
sachet, my units dont produce either. Half works better.
I now just use bread yeast anyway, not the 4 gbp box of pre-measured yeast
hagen sell Bread yeast costs about 80p and would probably last me over a
year. (I dont think yeast can survive too long once its open tho.)

When your unit is on the floor, is it nearer a heat source? I have mine on
the floor, touching my radiator pipes
A warm spot will help the yeast produce.
Another thing, make sure the water you use is about 20-25c no warmer. It
kills the yeast otherwise.
If you use colder water, the bubbles take longer to produce. The first
bubbles are simply air, and they don't shrink in size like the CO2 does.

I have had good results and have been happy with mine.

Hope this helps

Phil.