Old 19-07-2011, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default grass growning in containers - any way to remove it?

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:23:16 +0100, Craven wrote:

Hi, I was given some bulbs which seem to have been carrying a lot of
grass and weed seeds.

I planted them in my containers and before I knew it they resembled a
lawn :-)

I removed the grass and weeds, went away for a week and they're back in
force.

Is there any way to remove them please? I don't want / can't remove the
soil.

Just keep at it: they can't stand up to repeated attacks. If the
containers are huge and the weeds are really dense, and the bulbs are
totally leafless, and there's nothing else growing in there, you could
use a glyphosate spray; but it's probably best not to if you're still
a fairly new gardener.

I avoid herbicides if I can, but I have occasionally used glyphosate
when I had to: if you're really sure of yourself, you can wrap things
you don't want to kill in plastic, or shield them with cardboard. But
a little puff of wind can lead to tears before bedtime...

--
Mike.