Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Philip Ash

Default Problem with CO2 unit

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Philip,

Did you measure the amounts they use? I want to do the same thing and was
gonna measure the amounts. I assume the stabilizer is baking soda?

The temperture can be a problem for me in the summer months as it gets
really hot. I hope it will still work to some extent. Maybe I can put it

in
a bucket of ice

Thanks for the info,

Frank

I didn't measure the amounts, as they don't seem to be *critical*.
Because I now use cheap yeast, I don't even bother with baking soda.
If you add too much yeast the reaction is too violent, you get too many
bubbles, too quick and the sugar is used too quickly.
If you add not enough, then the opposite. I think I use roughly 1/4 teaspoon
of the yeast I have, and it works fine.
I never got 4 weeks out of the Hagen mix anyway. Yeast on its own lasts
about two weeks. I refill one unit a week, and Ive got a good constant
supply then.
I have two units on a 75 UK Gal tank btw.

I guess a bucket of water would be enough. It would take a day or two to get
fully warm, ( It would act as a heat sink), and then you could change it for
fresh cooler water.

Good luck,

Phil.