Old 31-07-2011, 05:00 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB View Post
I have had 2 Pittosporum tennuifolium 'Tom Thumb for 3 years now. They are growing underneath a beech tree. Whilst they look healthy they don't seem to be growing. They are not much bigger than when I got them, which is about 18/24inches Shall I move them and if so is it ok to do it now. Thankyou
Hi PDB, but you surely chose 'Tom Thumb' because it is a very dwarf slow growing variety ?? I have several in my garden and they are many years old but still only about 30 inches tall ?
I think the only reason to move them would be if the lack of light from the adjacent beech tree was spoiling the lovely colour ?
If you wanted to move them, now would be the absolute worst time ! wait until they are dormant (November to March) and make sure you carefully take a good solid root ball, which isnt easy with any Pittosporum !
If you want a similar coloured variety, that grew bigger and faster, then go and buy Pittosporum tennuifolium ' Purpureum' but the foliage does not end up quite as dark as Tom Thumb !
Lannerman.