Old 31-07-2011, 04:33 PM
PDB PDB is offline
Registered User

Default Pittosporum tennuifolium 'Tom Thumb

I have had 2 Pittosporum tennuifolium 'Tom Thumb for 3 years now. They are growing underneath a beech tree. Whilst they look healthy they don't seem to be growing. They are not much bigger than when I got them, which is about 18/24inches Shall I move them and if so is it ok to do it now. Thankyou
Old 31-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB View Post
I have had 2 Pittosporum tennuifolium 'Tom Thumb for 3 years now. They are growing underneath a beech tree. Whilst they look healthy they don't seem to be growing. They are not much bigger than when I got them, which is about 18/24inches Shall I move them and if so is it ok to do it now. Thankyou
Hi PDB, but you surely chose 'Tom Thumb' because it is a very dwarf slow growing variety ?? I have several in my garden and they are many years old but still only about 30 inches tall ?
I think the only reason to move them would be if the lack of light from the adjacent beech tree was spoiling the lovely colour ?
If you wanted to move them, now would be the absolute worst time ! wait until they are dormant (November to March) and make sure you carefully take a good solid root ball, which isnt easy with any Pittosporum !
If you want a similar coloured variety, that grew bigger and faster, then go and buy Pittosporum tennuifolium ' Purpureum' but the foliage does not end up quite as dark as Tom Thumb !
Lannerman.
Old 31-07-2011, 07:59 PM
PDB PDB is offline
Registered User

Thanks Lannerman
They were already in the house when we moved here. Yes I think I will move them in the Spring away from the tree to try and give them some more light. Just looked at the other one you have recommended and it does look lovely,
Polly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Old 31-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB View Post
Thanks Lannerman
They were already in the house when we moved here. Yes I think I will move them in the Spring away from the tree to try and give them some more light. Just looked at the other one you have recommended and it does look lovely,
Polly
Hi Polly, a few tips for you on how to move them ! As I said, they are not the easiest things to move so go carefully ! Firstly, you need a very sharp spade and it will pay to get a file and sharpen it ! I would suggest that you root prune them now, that will encourage them to produce fibrous roots within the root ball (that you will move later) So, cut around each plant as if you were going to move them but DO NOT lever with the spade, just cut around them in a circle, about 10 inches either side of the plant (giving you a root ball about 20 inches across)
Then later, when you actually come to move them, cut around them again in the same place and SLOWLY prise the WHOLE rootball out of the ground, working the spade around the plant slowly levering as you go ! Place a compost bag on the ground and when it 'pops' out of the ground, carefully place it onto the bag to move it to its new position. Its important that you keep this rootball whole as you move the plant ! Dont lift it by its stem, as you risk the rootball falling off, use the bag !
When your replanting it, place it carefully into the hole (from the bag) keeping your hands underneath the rootball, back fill using planty of peat or compost and LIGHTLY firm in. Finally, give it plenty of water and water often during the first season, especialy if its dry !!
The one problem I can forsee is that roots from the beech tree might impede you as you dig them out ? If thats the case, dig a trench around the propsed rootball and cut the beechroots, rather than risk destroying the Pitto rootball. Hope this helps and good luck !
Lannerman.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Derbyshire

Tom Thumb was my favourite plant in our garden until this winter when it died. I know it was a harsh winter but it was in a shelterd area next to a wall so it was a shock when I spotted that it was just twigs. It had been in a good many years and had grown to a good size. Have since put another in the garden but not in the same place.

I hope you have more luck than we did.
Autumn Planting Potatoes for Christmas New Potatoes.

[IMG] code is On

Fuchsia 'Tom Thumb' question Freedom_Spark United Kingdom 10 16-07-2009 10:09 PM
Tom Thumb tomato OhioGuy Gardening 2 24-03-2009 11:35 PM
GOOD LORD !!! TOMTOM OT OT OT Mary kate Ponds 13 27-07-2004 02:03 PM
Which Pittosporum Breed?? Ben Australia 1 16-01-2004 06:33 AM
Pittosporum Eugenioides in Clay Soil Simon Bailey Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:33 AM