Old 31-07-2011, 07:59 PM
PDB PDB is offline
Registered User

Thanks Lannerman
They were already in the house when we moved here. Yes I think I will move them in the Spring away from the tree to try and give them some more light. Just looked at the other one you have recommended and it does look lovely,
Polly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi PDB, but you surely chose 'Tom Thumb' because it is a very dwarf slow growing variety ?? I have several in my garden and they are many years old but still only about 30 inches tall ?
I think the only reason to move them would be if the lack of light from the adjacent beech tree was spoiling the lovely colour ?
If you wanted to move them, now would be the absolute worst time ! wait until they are dormant (November to March) and make sure you carefully take a good solid root ball, which isnt easy with any Pittosporum !
If you want a similar coloured variety, that grew bigger and faster, then go and buy Pittosporum tennuifolium ' Purpureum' but the foliage does not end up quite as dark as Tom Thumb !
Lannerman.