Old 28-07-2011, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Latour-Marliac waterlily nursery Est. 1875.

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Yes, we have visited it again and this time the tropical lilies and Lotus
were flowering too....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7627295692980/

and a Gloire de Temple-sur-Lot is on it's way to us. :-)

Talking of water lilies, some years ago I had a seed head from one of
mine (a red with white flecked edges, probably 'Attraction'), that was
full of seed but I never succeeded in germinating any of them. But
last year another lily (yellow flowers, leaves mottled green and
reddish-brown, probably 'Chromatella') produced what I thought was a
deformed growth, a sort of 'witches broom', and from it were sprouting
a few tiny leaves. So I potted it up and immersed it in a bucket of
pond water and then promptly forgot about it, so it sat there through
the winter, probably frozen solid for a while. Early this summer I
came across it again, sprouting a couple of new tiny leaves. This time
I gave it a bit more attention, re-potted it and put it in a shallow
part of the pond. It's coming on nicely. The leaves are still very
small, at most 5 cm across, but with the same mottling as the parent.

On reflection, my 'witches broom' was probably an old seed head with a
single seed that had germinated. Neighbouring lilies are white,
probably the common Alba, and the Attraction mentioned above. It'll be
interesting to see how this seedling develops.

Chris.

A yellow lily that produces new plants quite often is Colonel A J Welch,
flower buds turn into new plants instead of flowering. We had one that kept
doing that and never actually flowered, it didn't last long before we dumped
it!

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK