Old 27-07-2011, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Latour-Marliac waterlily nursery Est. 1875.

Yes, we have visited it again and this time the tropical lilies and Lotus
were flowering too....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7627295692980/

and a Gloire de Temple-sur-Lot is on it's way to us. :-)

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 27-07-2011, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/27/2011 10:20 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
Yes, we have visited it again and this time the tropical lilies and
Lotus were flowering too....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7627295692980/

and a Gloire de Temple-sur-Lot is on it's way to us. :-)

Fabulous Bob, thanks for that.
Old 28-07-2011, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Yes, we have visited it again and this time the tropical lilies and Lotus
were flowering too....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7627295692980/

and a Gloire de Temple-sur-Lot is on it's way to us. :-)

Talking of water lilies, some years ago I had a seed head from one of
mine (a red with white flecked edges, probably 'Attraction'), that was
full of seed but I never succeeded in germinating any of them. But
last year another lily (yellow flowers, leaves mottled green and
reddish-brown, probably 'Chromatella') produced what I thought was a
deformed growth, a sort of 'witches broom', and from it were sprouting
a few tiny leaves. So I potted it up and immersed it in a bucket of
pond water and then promptly forgot about it, so it sat there through
the winter, probably frozen solid for a while. Early this summer I
came across it again, sprouting a couple of new tiny leaves. This time
I gave it a bit more attention, re-potted it and put it in a shallow
part of the pond. It's coming on nicely. The leaves are still very
small, at most 5 cm across, but with the same mottling as the parent.

On reflection, my 'witches broom' was probably an old seed head with a
single seed that had germinated. Neighbouring lilies are white,
probably the common Alba, and the Attraction mentioned above. It'll be
interesting to see how this seedling develops.

Chris.

A yellow lily that produces new plants quite often is Colonel A J Welch,
flower buds turn into new plants instead of flowering. We had one that kept
doing that and never actually flowered, it didn't last long before we dumped
it!

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 28-07-2011, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G_Wolmersh=E4user?= wrote:
Am 28.07.2011 00:51, schrieb Emery Davis:
On 07/27/2011 10:20 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
Yes, we have visited it again and this time the tropical lilies and
Lotus were flowering too....

Just to saisfy my curiosity. Do you say "Lotus" for Nelumbo not "Lotos"?
I know Lotus as a different genus e.g. Lotus corniculatus.

Lotus is the English name for various species of 'waterlilies' and,
historically, for a probably imaginary plant with hypnotic effects,
a tree with very hard wood and various kinds of clover or trefoil.
It is also the botanical Latin name for the bird's foot trefoil
genus.

There are lots of such confusions in English, though I have to
admit that this one is particularly extreme :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-07-2011, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 28.07.2011 00:51, schrieb Emery Davis:
On 07/27/2011 10:20 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
Yes, we have visited it again and this time the tropical lilies and
Lotus were flowering too....

Just to saisfy my curiosity. Do you say "Lotus" for Nelumbo not "Lotos"?
I know Lotus as a different genus e.g. Lotus corniculatus.
Cheers
Gotthelf
--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de

Old 28-07-2011, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"G Wolmershäuser" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Yes, we have visited it again and this time the tropical lilies and
Lotus were flowering too....

Just to saisfy my curiosity. Do you say "Lotus" for Nelumbo not "Lotos"?
I know Lotus as a different genus e.g. Lotus corniculatus.

Yes, Nelumbo (nucifera) is known as the Lotus flower.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 02-08-2011, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

and a Gloire de Temple-sur-Lot is on it's way to us. :-)

Well it arrived today, 2nd August and was packaged and posted on the 27th
July. Took 5 days to get from Bordeaux to London! Luckily it still looks in
good shape so I potted it up and went to place it just near the edge of our
pond. Unfortunately I tripped and, carrying the heavy pot, went head first
into 1 metre of water and all our other lilies.
I bet you're all laughing!

Unfortunately I had my mobile phone in my pocket at the time, expensive
lily! :-(

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote

I've been drooling over that lovely website and am tempted by the idea
of scented waterlilies..Anybody had one? can you actually smell them from
the poolside?

Their scent is usually mild so you would need one in a barrel or similar so
you could get up close and personal to be able to smell it. Alternatively
use them as cut flowers, just float on a bowl of water.
I've not yet come across one that has a strong perfume but there are some
said to be like that, mostly the N.odorata crosses like N.Odorata exquisita;
N Odorata Helen Fowler; N Odorata sulphurea; N Odorata Wm B Shaw .....

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 03-08-2011, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ..

"Bob Hobden" said:

Unfortunately I had my mobile phone in my pocket at the time, expensive
lily! :-(

Oh dear! One of ourfamily managed to drop one into the loo. I didn't
ask how!! Hope neither you nor the lilies were hurt!

Only my pride hurt thanks, especially as my wife has now told everyone.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK