Old 28-07-2011, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Latour-Marliac waterlily nursery Est. 1875.

In article ,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G_Wolmersh=E4user?= wrote:
Am 28.07.2011 00:51, schrieb Emery Davis:
On 07/27/2011 10:20 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
Yes, we have visited it again and this time the tropical lilies and
Lotus were flowering too....

Just to saisfy my curiosity. Do you say "Lotus" for Nelumbo not "Lotos"?
I know Lotus as a different genus e.g. Lotus corniculatus.

Lotus is the English name for various species of 'waterlilies' and,
historically, for a probably imaginary plant with hypnotic effects,
a tree with very hard wood and various kinds of clover or trefoil.
It is also the botanical Latin name for the bird's foot trefoil
genus.

There are lots of such confusions in English, though I have to
admit that this one is particularly extreme :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.