Old 09-08-2011, 12:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Chris Thompson[_2_] Chris Thompson[_2_] is offline

Default Japanese beetles seem to have a color preference

Bert Hyman wrote in
:

In "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote:
We have a couple of shrub roses, ostensibly "Pink Grootendorst,"
which manage to produce blossoms ranging in color from almost white
to deep red.

We find the beetles in the light-colored flowers all the time, and
they've pretty much destroyed any that have already blossomed, while
they leave the dark-colored flowers completely alone.

What colour are the beetles? They may get better camouflage from
predators on some colours. Just a guess.

No Japanese beetles where you live? Lucky guy.

http://www.arbordoctor.net/beetle_20..._20_Popillia_2
0japonica__20_MO_2006_.jpg

Metalic green & copper-colored body, about 0.5" long.

No natural predators in the US, although my wife goes after them with
a vengance.

They're relatively new to Minnesota and we inadvertently planted
several of their favorite plants when we upgraded our yard and garden
about 10 years ago.

We get very few here- I have seen a couple. While I know they are mainly
diurnal predators, I can't help but think the gazillions of dragonflies
around right now have something to do with it. I sat out on my deck
yesterday evening and saw at least three D-flies catch some kind of flying
critter. Wish I had a good camera!

Chris