Old 14-08-2011, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Standards

In article , rbel wrote:

I wonder if anyone has experience of looking after standard shrubs. We
are considering getting a pair of 1/2 standard bay (Laurus Nobilis) or
something similar. They would be planted in containers in a ESE
facing location that is relatively sheltered. Given that we are in S
Devon there should not be much in the way of problems with frost.

You need LARGE containers and good drainage, but otherwise that
is a fairly common way of growing bay. You could underplant with
thyme or similar, if you want to. Don't let them dessicate, but
bay doesn't mind drying out to a moderate extent.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.