Old 16-08-2011, 05:48 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
I thought Baz's perp qualified for most of those. But as a judge has
just handed down an 11 month sentence instead of a 12 month one to a
drug dealer, thus avoiding his third deportation from this country,
it's hardly surprising most of us have given up any hope of real
justice for real criminals.
If you read the full story, it is a bit more complicated than that. The 11 month sentence means that the criminal is not automatically deported, but it does not necessarily save him from deportation, he may still be deported following a review of his situation. The judge therefore properly allowed for a considered review of the situation, rather than automatically triggering it, and I think that is in general a proper way of doing it. The criminal has 3 children properly resident in this country. I am rather inclined to the view that once we have given people residency, assuming they have not lied to obtain that residency, they become our problem and we shouldn't be allowed to palm them off on some other country when they misbehave. Of course I don't know if he has residency, but it seems likely given his children here.

An interesting question is why he was here at all, and moreover probably resident, having been deported twice before. We have presumably consciously let him in and allowed him to stay despite his previous two deportations, so presumably we think that record didn't matter. If the mother brought the children here should reasonably have appreciated that the father would not necessarily be able to come here or stay here, then I would have no compunction about deporting him, but I do not know that is the case.