Old 16-08-2011, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Tomatoes

"fsadfa" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 6:59 am, Homercles nobodyhere.edu wrote:
Something's in the ground where I raise tomatoes, killing the back row.
I planted them about 3 feet forward last year and it didn't happen (I had
a bumper crop), but this year I've lost the back row again.
They just wilt and die after they get about 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall.
There's no sign of cut worms and it's been an established gardening spot
for 15 years, with only tomatoes for 10.
I've been told by an old timer that there's a blight in the ground and
it's moving forward. I've also been told it's walnut blight as there's a
walnut tree about 30 feet away, but I've not found any roots in the
ground,
but it's only been tilled to about 10 inches deep.
The tomatoe patch is mulched with landscaping fabric (black plastic) with
pine chips on top.
Whatever it is kills hybrids as well as heirlooms.
Anyone have any idea what it sould be, and if I make it a raised bed would
it stop?

Thanks

Sounds like blight or some fungus (the walnut tree toxins would kill
the tomato plants right away, not after they grow 2 to 3 feet).

True, if the toxins are in the top layer of soil, but not if the toxins are
carried there by deep walnut roots. The tomato plants have to grow their
roots to the depth of the walnut roots. Any blight or fungus would quickly
spread across the whole garden.

Get rid of the walnut and the problem will go away. True, it will take some
years for the juglone to leach from the soil, but it will. There's too many
profound statement made without any forethought. Read the original post &
think before you pontificate.