Old 18-08-2011, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default inner city vineyard - what do you think?

Billy wrote:

Residues from herbicides, pesticides, and air pollution would settle on
the outside of a plant. Absorption from the soil is unlikely in that
roots facilitate the passage of certain nutrients which are required by
the vine, leaving undesired compounds and minerals to decay or wash away
with a rain.

If wine is made, the yeast will absorb any heavy metals that it may
contain. The clear wine is decanted (racked) away from the sediment
(including the yeast), which results in a wine, free from toxic levels
of heavy metals and/or pesticides.

Brewers yeast is highly nutritious. Some eat it deliberately. I've
done so with the yeast from my home brewed ale. I also tend to use the
yeast from any of my brewing as fertilizer in my garden for any of it I
don't eat. So I take it if I have any suspicion of mineral
contamination I should not do that. Got it. Much less a problem with
grains from the home brew shop to make ale than home grown grapes to
make wine. Got it.

Thnx