Old 25-08-2011, 09:21 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john "twicer " View Post
hi mark.i bought 80 manicata seeds from ebay,there are lots for sale there.i also bought 3 plants in 9cm pot earlier this year from ebay and they are already 30cms tall and 50cms wide..i also obtained a gunnera from a garden centre,it was being sold off because it wasn't in best of condition,it's now 1 metres tall and 2 metres wide.i will try to collect my own seeds if its possible..
ok, trade secret coming up !! if you dont know how, the hard bit is extracting the seed from said flower/seed spike but here's how I do it ! Remove the seed spike when most of the seeds are orange, put the whole thing in a large black bin bag and throw it under the bench in the greenhouse with a little water in the bag. Leave it for a couple of months and you'll end up with a brown gooey mass, tip this into a bucket, add water and agitate. then slowly overflow the bucket, which removes the 'goo' and you'll find thousands of clean seeds in the bottom of the bucket ! Make sure you remove every scrap of 'goo' as this, like most fleshy seed heads contains chemicals to inhibit germination (until spring) sow straight away on bottom heat, simple !
Lannerman.
Last year, I had thousands of seedlings