Old 26-08-2011, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default First Red Tomato

On 8/26/2011 1:34 PM, Billy wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

On Aug 25, 9:33 pm, wrote:
My first red tomatoes are Juliets. The Stupices, and the Early Girls are
still green. Temps have been in the low 80s F during the day, and around
50 F at night. The Juliets are one hanging above the other. At first, it
looked like one large banana shaped tomato, before I realized it was 2
tomatoes.
Silly bunt.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and
jobs. And itıs not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do
is you get rid of corporate welfare. Thatıs hundreds of billions of dollars
a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they donıt get away with
no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_c...

How long is your season? My early girls produced their first around
the end of June.

Tomato season typically begins here around the end of July. I can get in
the ground by mid-April, usually by the 1st of May, but the soil doesn't
get to 60F until around the beginning of June. Tomato season has just
begun in Sonoma County. We've had a cool summer. We've only reached 90F
once and that was on the third of July (93 F). Good weather can keep
vines in warmer areas, like Alexander Valley, producing until Nov., but
I'm on the north side of a hill, and the loss of sunlight pretty much
shuts the garden down by the beginning of Oct. The Sun skims the hill,
below the tree line (trees block the sunlight) from mid-November to
February. Kale, beets, parsnips, parsley will over winter, but they
won't grow.

Interesting. Our first frost free day is May 15 but you can plant two
weeks earlier but ground is not warm enough to do much. We end in
October and first frost might be as early as the 15th of Oct. Most aim
for first red tomato by the fourth of July. Unusual to get mine as
early as I did but we've had a very hot summer.

We're a small state and climate only varies a little but I know
California's can be all over the map. One year around labor day when we
were in Orange County it was 105 degrees and a week later in Yosemite
the Donner Pass was snowed in and we could not drive through it.