Old 27-08-2011, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default First Red Tomato

Frank wrote:

On Aug 25, 9:33*pm, Billy wrote:
My first red tomatoes are Juliets. The Stupices, and the Early Girls are
still green.

-snip-

How long is your season? My early girls produced their first around
the end of June.

I've never been able to figure that out. I planted Beefsteak, a
bunch of cherry tomatoes, a Polish Linguisa, and Shumway's "Early
Bird".

The Cherry tomatoes came in first-- [except for some sweet 100s and
some currant tomatoes which still aren't ripening], followed by the
Beefsteak, then the polish Linguisa. The 'Early' plants are
surrounded by ripe tomatoes- but they show no signs of ever getting
ripe. One fell off the vine & I wondered if it was ripe, but still
green. Nope- hard as a rock.

All of those plants were treated exactly the same from seeds- to when
and how they went into the garden. Seems like about 1/2 the time
my 'Early-whatevers' are the last to ripen.

I'm in Zone 5- The garden is at the base of an east facing tree
covered slope-- so the sun 'sets' an hour or two early.

When I planted corn I always planted 3 varieties- early-middle-late.
They never came in in that order- though I got good crops for the
raccoons from all 3 varieties.

Jim