Old 30-08-2011, 07:00 AM
sambucus sambucus is offline
Registered User

[quote='Spider[_3_];934646']On 29/08/2011 13:05, mark_griff wrote:[color=blue][i]
I would be grateful if someone could assist with identifying the plant
in the attached photo for me? We only moved into our present house last
winter, so I wasn't aware of what was going to appear in the garden in
the Spring, however, this plant appeared at the beginning of August and
has now grown to about 18" in height.

We've potted it at the moment, as to date we haven't been able to
identify it in any of our books and subsequently don't know how big it
may grow? Could anyone please assist?

Many thanks

It is Red Orache, Atriplex hortensis rubra aka red mountain spinach as someone suggested.

I bought a plant a few years back and let it flower, now I get seedlings all over my allotment and a few neighbours have it too!
It's not a problem to hoe up or pull if its in the way but I like a few random plants growing amonst other things - it looks especially good growing in a bed of blue-green leeks.

In a good year it will reach 6ft or more but it's not dense and doesn't overpower anything.
The tiny flowers are much visited by hoverflies

The young leaves can be used in salads ( great colour - not a lot of flavour ) older leaves can be cooked like spinach but I never bother.

Oh yes it is annual so save some seed if you want it next year