Old 29-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered User

Default Help - plant identification??

I would be grateful if someone could assist with identifying the plant in the attached photo for me? We only moved into our present house last winter, so I wasn't aware of what was going to appear in the garden in the Spring, however, this plant appeared at the beginning of August and has now grown to about 18" in height.

We've potted it at the moment, as to date we haven't been able to identify it in any of our books and subsequently don't know how big it may grow? Could anyone please assist?

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Help - plant identification??-ssl20204a.jpg
Old 29-08-2011, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:05:59 +0000, mark_griff
wrote:

I would be grateful if someone could assist with identifying the plant
in the attached photo for me? We only moved into our present house last
winter, so I wasn't aware of what was going to appear in the garden in
the Spring, however, this plant appeared at the beginning of August and
has now grown to about 18" in height.

We've potted it at the moment, as to date we haven't been able to
identify it in any of our books and subsequently don't know how big it
may grow? Could anyone please assist?

Many thanks

|Filename: SSL20204a.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14420|

I get something very similar that pops up in my garden from time to
time. I'm almost certain it's one of the Goosefoot family
(Chenopodiacae, which includes Good King Henry and Fat Hen), but my
Wild Flower Guide doesn't mention an all-over beetroot-coloured one. I
suppose it could be a specially bred and cultivated ornamental
variety. There's plenty of GKH and FH in the fields around us, as well
as Red Goosefoot, which is red-stemmed but green-leaved, but the red
isn't anything like on your or my plants. With the exception of GKH,
most are annuals, so it will probably die in the autumn. Grows to
about two feet max, and has spikes/clusters of insignificant little
round flowers.

A red form of Atriplex hortensis (red orache) is grown, but I don't
think that the leaf form is correct for that.

I've seen a red-leaved chenopodiaceous plant grown in a garden which I
was told was Chenopodium, but the species wasn't specified.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-08-2011, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

Don't wory about it, it won't survive the winter, it's an annual
Old 29-08-2011, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

wrote:

[...]

Collins Field Guide says A. hastata agg. "often reddens".

I rather like it if it's what I've seen growing in a crack betwen the
footpath and the front wall of a house in my daughter's road (W Mids).
I'll grab some seeds if anybody wants some -- but I couldn't justify
it in my small patch.

--
Mike.
Old 29-08-2011, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/08/2011 13:05, mark_griff wrote:
I would be grateful if someone could assist with identifying the plant
in the attached photo for me? We only moved into our present house last
winter, so I wasn't aware of what was going to appear in the garden in
the Spring, however, this plant appeared at the beginning of August and
has now grown to about 18" in height.

We've potted it at the moment, as to date we haven't been able to
identify it in any of our books and subsequently don't know how big it
may grow? Could anyone please assist?

Many thanks

|Filename: SSL20204a.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14420|

I confess I'm not sure. Looks a bit like one of the red-leaved perillas.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 30-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Registered User

[quote='Spider[_3_];934646']On 29/08/2011 13:05, mark_griff wrote:[color=blue][i]
I would be grateful if someone could assist with identifying the plant
in the attached photo for me? We only moved into our present house last
winter, so I wasn't aware of what was going to appear in the garden in
the Spring, however, this plant appeared at the beginning of August and
has now grown to about 18" in height.

We've potted it at the moment, as to date we haven't been able to
identify it in any of our books and subsequently don't know how big it
may grow? Could anyone please assist?

Many thanks

It is Red Orache, Atriplex hortensis rubra aka red mountain spinach as someone suggested.

I bought a plant a few years back and let it flower, now I get seedlings all over my allotment and a few neighbours have it too!
It's not a problem to hoe up or pull if its in the way but I like a few random plants growing amonst other things - it looks especially good growing in a bed of blue-green leeks.

In a good year it will reach 6ft or more but it's not dense and doesn't overpower anything.
The tiny flowers are much visited by hoverflies

The young leaves can be used in salads ( great colour - not a lot of flavour ) older leaves can be cooked like spinach but I never bother.

Oh yes it is annual so save some seed if you want it next year
Old 01-09-2011, 02:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , sambucus
writes

It is Red Orache, Atriplex hortensis rubra aka red mountain spinach as

someone suggested.

Yes - I agree Annual, it'll come up all over now but it is edible.

Janet

Old 18-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Registered User

Many thanks for all your replies.

Apologies for not acknowleding them sooner, I've been away on holiday and our cottage was supposed to have wi-fi access...but didn't!

Thanks again,

Mark