Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Raspberry problem

On Sep 1, 10:13*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
Two years ago, we bought six raspberry bushes for the lottie - 3 summer
fruiting and 3 autumn fruiting. *They arrived at the wrong time [for us] and
got heeled into the nursery bed for the winter, autumns closest to the path,
summer closest to the fence.

Last spring my plot partner planted them in two beds. *When I asked which
were which, she looked blank, then admitted she'd planted the three
strongest looking in one bed and the other three in the other one. *Last
summer/autumn they didn't do much.

This year, I thought I'd be able to sort them out by when they started
fruiting. *Not a bit of it! *Apart from one which is still thinking about
sticking around, they all started fruiting at once and are still going
strong.

My problem is, how do I prune them? *As they have all [bar the still
thinking one] produced lots of new growth this year, should I treat them all
as summer fruiting?

--
Kathy

--
Kathy

Cut out the old growth and leave in the new to fruit next year