Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Raspberry problem

Two years ago, we bought six raspberry bushes for the lottie - 3 summer
fruiting and 3 autumn fruiting. They arrived at the wrong time [for us] and
got heeled into the nursery bed for the winter, autumns closest to the path,
summer closest to the fence.

Last spring my plot partner planted them in two beds. When I asked which
were which, she looked blank, then admitted she'd planted the three
strongest looking in one bed and the other three in the other one. Last
summer/autumn they didn't do much.

This year, I thought I'd be able to sort them out by when they started
fruiting. Not a bit of it! Apart from one which is still thinking about
sticking around, they all started fruiting at once and are still going
strong.

My problem is, how do I prune them? As they have all [bar the still
thinking one] produced lots of new growth this year, should I treat them all
as summer fruiting?

--
Kathy

--
Kathy

Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 1, 10:13*pm, "Kathy" wrote:
[...]

Cut out the old growth and leave in the new to fruit next year
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Cut out the old growth and leave in the new to fruit next year
Cut off all canes that have fruited, might be an easier way to think of it. Autumn fruiting raspberries will grow new canes and fruit in the same season, summer one fruit on last year's new canes.

You'll probably find the autumn ones take over, they are more vigorous. They are easier to manage, because you just cut everything to the ground. Also have a lot less worms in the fruit...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in
:

Cut out the old growth and leave in the new to fruit next year

Is that true of both summer and autumn fruiters? I am unsure but autumn
ones need to be cut off 3" above ground because they fruit on new canes,
and summer ones fruit on last years canes?

I need to know this too. I have ordered both summer and autumn varieties.
Glen Cova, Malling Jewel and Tulameen.

Baz

Old 02-09-2011, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:42:50 GMT, Baz wrote:

Dave Hill wrote in
:

Cut out the old growth and leave in the new to fruit next year

Is that true of both summer and autumn fruiters? I am unsure but autumn
ones need to be cut off 3" above ground because they fruit on new canes,
and summer ones fruit on last years canes?

I need to know this too. I have ordered both summer and autumn varieties.
Glen Cova, Malling Jewel and Tulameen.

Baz

An easy rule of thumb is to chop to ground level any cane that has
fruited immediately it finishes fruiting but don't cut any that have
not fruited unless they are very weak or diseased. As the autumn
fruiters won't have produced new canes at that point you can't go
wrong. Some people prefer to leave the autumn fruiting canes in place
through the winter for some reason but if you do this, make sure they
are chopped down no later than January.

Tulameen's a good choice. Crops well for a long time and IMO really
tasty fruits. I think it actually produces too many new canes each
year - I've only got so much space - so I tend to work on the basis
that when I cut out an old cane, I tie the best available new one in
its place and when I've done this with all the old ones, I remove the
surplus.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in news:gbm1679a9h0ucjb94rfslu5mauj19bbp0o@
4ax.com:

[...]

I think I need to give some thought to this one. For some reason, I feel
confused. Not your fault.

Baz
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Sep 1, 10:13 pm, "Kathy" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave and Jake, that's what I was thinking, but needed a bit of
confirmation!

--
Kathy

Old 03-09-2011, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/09/2011 13:42, Baz wrote:
Dave wrote in
:

Cut out the old growth and leave in the new to fruit next year

Is that true of both summer and autumn fruiters? I am unsure but autumn
ones need to be cut off 3" above ground because they fruit on new canes,
and summer ones fruit on last years canes?

I need to know this too. I have ordered both summer and autumn varieties.
Glen Cova, Malling Jewel and Tulameen.

Baz

Which found that most autumn raspberries will produce a summer crop as
well. (without affecting the autumn one). Cut down any cane that
finishes fruiting now but not later. The summer ones will fruit on the
new canes. The autumn ones will fruit again on the current canes in the
summer and on the new canes in the autumn.

Paul
Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 19:08:07 +0100, Paul Luton
wrote:

On 02/09/2011 13:42, Baz wrote:
Dave wrote in
:

Cut out the old growth and leave in the new to fruit next year

Is that true of both summer and autumn fruiters? I am unsure but autumn
ones need to be cut off 3" above ground because they fruit on new canes,
and summer ones fruit on last years canes?

I need to know this too. I have ordered both summer and autumn varieties.
Glen Cova, Malling Jewel and Tulameen.

Baz

Which found that most autumn raspberries will produce a summer crop as
well. (without affecting the autumn one). Cut down any cane that
finishes fruiting now but not later. The summer ones will fruit on the
new canes. The autumn ones will fruit again on the current canes in the
summer and on the new canes in the autumn.

Paul

Now I feel confused (like Baz ) Far be it from me to dispute the
findings of the august Which? ( particularly in September) but, quite
frankly I'm not going to risk an autumn crop to try this solution out.

My mother used to leave hers until January to cut down (I've never
understood what the benefit of this is so we agreed to differ). I
never knew her to have any "green" cane before she did her chop. Nor,
FWIW, was her crop any better than mine.

But as Esther used to say "Someone may know different!"

Old 04-09-2011, 02:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Is that true of both summer and autumn fruiters? I am unsure but autumn
ones need to be cut off 3" above ground because they fruit on new canes,
and summer ones fruit on last years canes?

We always chop all of our raspberries right down in winter, and they always
come back laden with fruit each year. I guess the theory is we have all
autumn ones - we inheritted them all, and that's what the bloke who put them
in did. But they seem to start fruiting in about May, which doesn't seem
very autumn to me. *shrug*

I think the OP is just going to have to experiment to find out what works.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 22:33:41 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

My mother used to leave hers until January to cut down (I've never
understood what the benefit of this is so we agreed to differ). I
never knew her to have any "green" cane before she did her chop. Nor,
FWIW, was her crop any better than mine.

But as Esther used to say "Someone may know different!"

I have no idea what mine are but have had fruit from them during the
summer and again now.
I have cut out the bits that were very dead....
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk